most desirable holiday locations . Please don't imagine a dusty hot savannah.. this is a tropical paradise Island with an exotic mix of cultures on one of the world's oldest trading ports. See our article on "Ten Things to do in Jambiani" We invite you to come and learn from the local community:If you are looking for a vacation with a difference, then why not come to Zanzibar? It is one of the world's
- Batik, painting and jewellery making
- Swahili cooking lessons
- How do you live without electricity and a fridge?
- How do you build an entire house with no power tools or machinery?
- How do you make rope from a coconut, embroider a hat, harvest seaweed for export, catch an octopus, etc
- Relax and sloooow downn... breath.. live.. laugh and enjoy talking to people
- Learn and practice English
- Housekeeping / cleaning / hygiene practices
- Playing musical Instruments guitar, keyboard, drums, malimba
- Drama, dance,sculpture, jewellery , arts and crafts
- Cooking … Continue Reading ››
My family is now back in Tanzania. We have set up a little home in north Jambiani on the East Coast of Zanzibar Island in Tanzania. For tourists, this is a tropical paradise with coconut trees, cocktails and warm waters for snorkelling on coral reefs. For many locals, life is not such a luxury. Most families in Jambiani earn a living through fishing. The lady in the picture, who is my neighbour, is a full-time teacher at the local primary school and a mother of four. Her husband is a fisherman yet they are still looking for extra part-time work to get by. Most people here need 2 or 3 jobs to meet their immediate needs. Some women farm and collect seaweed and earn about 20 cents per kilo. Tanzania has one of the lowest income levels in the world at an average of $2 per person per day. Yet it has one of the world's fastest growing economies, so that will change quickly. I have been asking the women what they want to learn and the answer is dress-making. (I was kind of hoping they would say computer coding..) So that is … Continue Reading ››